Monday, October 14, 2013

Vicky's Interview:

I choose to interview one of my friends, Nena. She is a freshman student here at Salem State. I wasn’t sure if she knew much about the topic, so I was rather curious to see. I wanted to see what ideas other students might have about the topic. I didn’t know if she had any background knowledge about wind turbines or environmental issues so it will be interesting to find out.
     


1. When you hear the word wind turbines, what do you think of?
         “I think of them as an energy producing machine that uses the Earth’s wind to make energy.”

2. Do you know of any areas that have wind turbines?
            “At this time, I do not know of any areas that have them.”

 3. What are some benefits of wind turbines in your opinion?
            “I do not think that they harmful to the environment and it is a renewal source of energy.”

 4. Do you think wind turbines may be bad for our environment? Explain.
            “Yes in some ways, because in my environmental science class I learned about, how sometimes the blades kill birds. They are harmful to our bird population.”

 5. Would you consider using wind turbines as a source of energy; if so, would it be cost and energy efficient?
            “Yes I would consider using turbines for energy because it is less harmful to our environment than other sources of energy that we could be using.”

6. Do you know anything about wind turbines?
            “I know that it is an alternative source of energy and it is not used as often as other sources or as often as they should be.”

 7. Do you think alternative sources of energy should be used?
            “Other sources should be used because other sources of energy would be less costly and more energy efficient.”

 8. Should students be focusing on finding alternative sources of energy?
            “Students need to be focusing on finding alternatives to create a better future for our world.”

9. How can schools help students be more environmentally aware of new resources are being used in our society?
            “Schools could create more classes to teach students about these matters, they should be required for all students to take.”

10. Do you know any negative news about wind turbines?
            “ I know that they take up a lot of space and they are not as efficient or reliable as the sun as a form of energy.”


Reflection of My Interview:
When my interview was complete, I found out that Nena had heard of wind turbines, but didn’t know where any were in her area. In one of her classes in high school she did learn about them, which I think is rather cool. In high school, I never took any environmental classes, so it is nice to see that some schools are offering these classes to students. It was easy to give an interview with a person I knew, and it was interesting to see how much I am able to find out from someone else.




No comments:

Post a Comment