Monday, October 28, 2013

Vicky's Reflection on Taking Action:

I decided to petition against the use of wind turbines. They have been linked to causing health issues, such as insomnia, dizziness, and in some cases even problems with the heart.  Wind turbines have also had problems with breaking and causing a lot of damage. The petition I signed is pushing for smaller wind turbines, which would reduce the risk of harm to the residents and the neighboring wildlife in the area.http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/wind-watch.html I am rather excited that I know that I could have a part in making a difference on an issue that I am concerned with, especially when it is so closely connected to home. I am given the chance to express my voice, my opinions, and my views, something that not many other people in other countries may have the chance to do. I am glad that being an American citizen, I have the right to raise my voice and raise opposition!
Teaching social justice issues in classrooms is something that I would incorporate into my teachings. I never learned about many issues in our society. I really wish my teachers would have taken time to relate current problems to ways that we could help better our world. As teachers, it is our job to educate our students to become well rounded, worldly citizens. If we are not to reach these very ideas, then how will our new society members be prepared to tackle the growing concerns of  everyday life?

No comments:

Post a Comment